Directory of Concessions

Slide backgroundQBA Promoting Understanding For The Blind

Concessions Information

Information on this page is an alpha listing of both Government and Private Agencies, which provide services and benefits for blind and vision impaired people in Queensland.

Against each Agency is a basic and brief description of the services they provide. This page has been compiled by the Queensland Blind Association Inc. to assist blind and vision impaired people either in a professional or personal capacity.

Click here for printable version of this directory (PDF).

Please click on the information boxes below to display the content.

Adult Proof of Age Card

Adult Proof of Age Card

Queensland Transport issues Adult Proof of Age Cards as a means of identification if you do not have a driver’s licence.  The cost of an Adult Proof of Age Card is presently $69.00. To apply for a card an applicant must be:

      • at least 17 years and 11 months of age
      • complete the application form and provide evidence of identity and pay the fee
    • For more information telephone 13 74 68

Australia Post

Australia Post

Australia Post will deliver some items that aid the vision impaired free of charge or at concessional rates.

Eligible articles:

  • Correspondence, documents or literature wholly written in Braille or Moon.
  • An aid for teaching Braille
  • A plate for embossing literature for the blind
  • Special paper intended solely for the use of the blind
  • Any form of speech recording for the use of the blind
  • Articles up to 7kg

No other matter may be enclosed in the post.

Eligible participants:

To attract the concessional rates, either the sender or the recipient of an article for the blind must be a blind person, or an institution or organisation recognised by Australia Post as one that serves the needs of blind people.

When sending items they must have the name and address of the sender on the outside of the envelope as well as the “Articles for the Blind” label (available from the Post Office) or the words “Materials for the Use of the Blind” or similar.

MyPost Concession Account

If you hold a Federal Government concession card you may be eligible for a reduced rate on domestic stamps and other services. Benefits include:

  • Free booklet of 5 concession stamps
  • Ability to purchase up to 50 concession stamps per year
  • Discount on Mail Hold and Mail Redirection
  • A free MyPost Concession Card and digital mailbox.

To apply, download and complete an application form and take to your nearest post office with your Federal Government concession card.

Telephone:   13 13 18

Australian postcodes list for personal use can be downloaded from Australia Post’s website for free.


Telephone: 13 76 78

Australian Taxation Office

Australian Taxation Office

The Disability Support Pension Blind is Non Taxable; an Aged Blind Pension is Taxable. Contact the ATO for more information.

Telephone: 13 28 61


Lodge Your Tax Return Online

MyTax is the quick, easy, safe and secure way to lodge your tax return. It is compatible with screen-reader software and can be used on any device, such as a tablet, smartphone or computer.

Individual Tax Return Instructions and Supplements

The ATO each year make available accessible formats for the vision impaired.  They are TaxDaisy, TaxCD and TaxDisk.  These Accessible format products are available to order for free from early September each year.

Telephone:      1300 720 920 / 13 28 61

Medical Expenses Tax Offset for Guide Dogs & Technology and Adaptive Equipment

You cannot claim a deduction for anything paid by NDIS

Medical expenses tax offset for the cost of maintaining a properly trained dog for assisting a person with a disability. Some equipment used for the vision impaired that has been prescribed by the medical doctor, optician or optometrist such as talking computers, reading machines or CCTVs may be eligible for the medical expenses rebate.

You can claim a tax offset of 20% (20c in the dollar) of your total net qualifying expenses over $2299

.  Your net medical expenses are the medical expenses you have paid, less any refunds you received from Medicare or a private health fund.

Carer Business Discount Card

Carer Business Discount Card

Available to Queenslanders who receive the Centrelink Carer Payment or the Carer Allowance (see Department of Human Services entry below), the card provides carers with discounts and offers on a wide range of goods and services.

Telephone: 13 74 68

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

A Commonwealth Seniors Health Card helps with the cost of prescription medicines and other services if you are of Age Pension age, but do not qualify for the Age Pension/Vet Affairs, meet an income test and Australian resident currently living in Australia.

Telephone:  13 2300.

Companion Card

Companion Card

People who need lifelong attendant care support can use their Companion Card to access affiliated community venues, activities and public transport for the price of a single ticket.

For a list of affiliates go to the website.

Telephone:  13 74 68 (Mon to Fri, 8am – 6pm)


Computers/Computer Software

Computers/Computer Software

Free Screen Reader Program

There is a free screen reader program available called non Visual Desktop Access for Windows (NVDA).

For portability, the NVDA screen reader can be run from a USB stick, without requiring installation on the destination computer.

The program can be downloaded from are 2 copies available. One you can download and install onto your computer, and the other to store onto a USB stick.

Work Ventures

WorkVentures is Australia’s oldest not-for-profit IT Social Enterprise.  They sell refurbished computers as near new condition for a fraction of original cost.

For more information, visit or

call 1800 112 205

Department of Human Services

Department of Human Services

Pensions: to be eligible for either the Disability Support Pension (Blind) or Aged Blind Pension you must be an Australian Citizen, or have permanent resident status and been residing in Australia continuously for ten years. If your permanent blindness occurred in Australia, there is no period of required residency.

DSP Blind Pensions were not affected by the government’s welfare to work changes. You are also exempt from the income and assets test, however, your partner must meet the income and assets test to qualify for a partnered-rate pension. Telephone:  13 27 17

Age Pension to qualifiy a person must be aged over 65 for males or over 63 for females and meet the Centrelink income and assets criteria.  Telephone 13 23 00

Carer Allowance is available to carers providing constant care or supervision to a person (aged 16 plus) whose disability causes substantial functional impairment. Telephone 13 27 17

Child Disability Assistance Payment is an automatic annual payment if you get Carer Allowance to assist parents with the costs of caring for a child with a disability. Telephone 13 27 17

Mobility Allowance is available for people working, training, looking for work or involved in voluntary work for 8 hours or more per week and who are unable to use public transport. Telephone 13 27 17

Newstart Allowance is financial help if you are looking for work or participating in approved activities that may increase your chances of finding a job. Telephone 13 28 50

Rent Assistance: Financial help to people who pay rent and receive a Centrelink payment.

Sickness Allowance:  A person must be over 22 years of age, employed or self-employed and temporarily unable to work due to a medical condition. In some cases, full time students can also get Sickness Allowance if they are unable to study due to illness or injury. Telephone 13 27 17

Telephone Allowance: To qualify a person must receive a Disability Support Pension, be under 21, with no dependent children and internet and/or telephone connected in their own name or their partner’s name.

Utilities Allowance is a quarterly payment to help with household bills if you are on a Disability Support Pension. Singles may be paid $157.20 per quarter and Couples $78.60 for each eligible member of a couple.

Working Credit is to help working-age people keep more of their support payments when they start full-time, part-time or casual work. Telephone 13 27 17

For rates and allowances visit:

Department of Transport & Main Roads

Department of Transport & Main Roads

Audible/Tactile Traffic Lights

If Audible-Tactile Traffic lights are not working, please contact Brisbane City Council on (07) 3403 8888.

If not in the BCC area please contact Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 19 40.

Vehicle Registration

•  If your Pensioner Concession Card was issued on or after 1 July 1994, you are entitled to a 50% reduction of the registration fee component of the total registration amount payable.

•   If your Pensioner Concession Card was issued before 1 July 1994 you will continue to receive the flat rate concession on the registration fee component of the total registration amount.

•   If you are a Qld Seniors Card holder (not Seniors Business Discount Card), you are entitled to a 50% reduction on the registration fee component of the total registration amount payable.

The following conditions apply for this concession:

•   All other charges included with your registration (such as compulsory third party insurance) are payable in full.

This concession is available for:

•   Motorbikes (the flat rate applies whether or not the card was issued before or after 1994)

•   Motor vehicles up to and including 4.5 tonnes (passenger and light commercial type vehicles excluding tractors and machinery etc)

•   Motorised caravans (regardless of Gross Vehicle Mass)

•   You must be the registered operator of the vehicle and the vehicle must be used mainly for your private use.

•   This concession is available on only one vehicle recorded in the registered operator’s name.

•   You and your spouse can receive only one concession between you.

•   On new vehicles, you will receive your concession at the time the dealer registers the vehicle as new.

•   If you acquire a vehicle that is already registered (such as a second hand car) the concession will be available from the date you next renew your registration.

Application forms are available from Queensland Department of Transport Customer Service Centre or by phoning 13 23 80


Department of Veterans’ Affairs

Department of Veterans’ Affairs

Telephone: 13 32 54 or 1800 555 254 (outside Brisbane)

Disability Parking Permit Scheme

Disability Parking Scheme

Queensland Transport administers the Disability Parking Permit Scheme and a medical practitioner makes eligibility assessments. A non-refundable service fee must accompany applications. Permits are usually valid for 5 years. You DO need to have another disability other than blindness to access this permit.




Government Funded Subjects

A tuition fee concession or exemption may be available to a holder of a current Pensioner Concession Card or current Health Care card or a partner or dependant of a person who holds either one of these cards provided they are named on the card.

TAFE Queensland

Some TAFE courses have fee concessions if they are government subsidised. Financial Assistance may also be available.

For more information contact your local TAFE Qld Institute or visit the website at